#61 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:03 AM

View Posttalker, on Jun 18 2008, 07:50 PM, said:

OK Mo, I have installed FF3 in Server '08 x64. I will run it in some real time testing and let you know what I discover. The system is the one in the sig except there is 8 GB RAM instead of 4 GB... ;)

thank you very much :friends:
you can't believe how disappointed i was. i'm a big FF fan, and to have my browsing fall to a crawl (skype and thunderbird all working fine)... :pray:

#62 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:28 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jun 18 2008, 10:03 PM, said:

thank you very much :friends:
you can't believe how disappointed i was. i'm a big FF fan, and to have my browsing fall to a crawl (skype and thunderbird all working fine)... :pray:

I gave the system a good 15 minute test. I had the XP x64 SP2 directly beside the Server 08 x64 with FF3 open in both systems. I worked the two mice to click the same links at the same time. I tried numerous websites and streamed 3 or 4 videos at IMDB. Both open versions of FF3 performed exactly the same. There were milliseconds difference in the systems and that difference swapped back and forth which would be the connection and not the browser. As a matter of fact, my homepage (MSN) rendered better on Server 08 than on x64. My monitors are x64 Acer 22" widescreen, Server 08 x64 Nokia 21" CRT. The homepage is cut off on the right side on x64 and cannot be adjusted whereas on Server 08 x64 the page is fully rendered.

Sorry Mo but I see no difference at all in the two systems. I even have the tweaks in post #55 from scaramonga in the x64 system and there is no difference between x64 and Server 08 x64...Bill. ;)

#63 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:36 AM

weird. well, maybe another browser will work for me (IE rips the pants off ff3 here...)...thanks mane :friends:

#64 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:40 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jun 18 2008, 10:36 PM, said:

weird. well, maybe another browser will work for me (IE rips the pants off ff3 here...)...thanks mane :friends:

Your welcome Mo. If it is any consolation, I am going back to IE 7. I just wanted to say that I tried FF3 and I did. I still just personally don't like the feel of the browser. There is nothing wrong with FF3 I suppose but I just don't like the feel of it. Some like chocolate, some vanilla. I guess this is one of those times...:pray:

#65 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:44 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Jun 18 2008, 08:07 PM, said:

Opera is not as secure, nor is safari for windows

From where does this opinion stem? I ask cause I have seen multiple mentions of security problems with the new version of FF and none for Opera, without searching mind you...and since this statement was made I wished to know via my own test, both Opera 9.50 and Firefox 3 installed and both passed without any failures...however Opera instantly launched where FF for whatever reason took at least 20-30 seconds to launch...no other app takes that long on this pc so that I found rather odd. As for Safari, I don't even care to install it as besides looks it didn't offer me anything useful a few months back, I understand they have made great advances since but I'll still pass on that browser for now at least.

#66 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

:friends:

#67 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:43 AM

tweak, i had the same launch problem w/FF3. dunno wtf...i do notice that safari has way better graphics quality (really) than FF and IE, and is faster (though it has it's bugs). if opera was more tab friendly, i'd be trying it out again.

#68 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:02 AM

and tweak, my daughter says your avatar/sig is a bit scary, and mine comes in a close second... :pray:

#69 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:39 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jun 19 2008, 10:02 PM, said:

and tweak, my daughter says your avatar/sig is a bit scary, and mine comes in a close second... ;)

:pray:

I know Tweak's avatar is him but you aren't trying to say that your avatar isn't you are you Mo???????? :friends:

#70 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:54 AM

Security issue:9.50 http://community.lan...t/docs/DOC-2937

Prior to June 12, the 9.50b had quite a few issues, some i posted on the forums and in the news

Cert has a record on 9.50b: http://www.us-cert.g...s/SB07-365.html

ZDnet on both betas: http://blogs.zdnet.c...ardware/?p=2060 The comments are quite humorous

Since today FF3 (but also affects 2.0x) vulnerability: http://blogs.zdnet.c...ecurity/?p=1288

Im sure more more will pop up, but given the user base on just our site opera takes a very small share

Posted Image

#71 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:27 AM

View Posttalker, on Jun 19 2008, 08:39 PM, said:

I know Tweak's avatar is him but you aren't trying to say that your avatar isn't you are you Mo???????? :friends:

"there's no business like show business like no business i know..."

#72 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:46 AM

Well as stated without doing any searching I saw until now only mention of several FF issues, as for tabs Opera does fine and offered before FF a tabbed interface, as for the launch issue, at least it isn't a single isolated issue, for my clown, I figured it was kinda freaky and I wanted practice with animation and that just happened to be what came out of it.

P.S. To Mike's daughter, BOO!

hehe

I read somewhere how someone described Opera and Firefox, it amused me and went something like this...

Firefox is like a Honda for teenagers to add to it wings and big fart can pipes and flashing lights to make it nicer, Opera is like a fine automobile that is tuned to higher performance levels like an exotic car and needs nothing added to make it faster and better. Seems a good way to look at it in a way I think, out of the box I can do things extensions are required for with FF, please understand I don't dislike or think that FF is crap, it launches slow for me and Mike and lacks the abilities I am accustomed to having with Opera so I don't prefer it is all it comes down to ya know.

#73 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Opera dont support Roboform and Roboform dont support Opera, I cant live without Roboform, therefore I must live without Opera.

#74 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

:pray: Hey MOcephus, as u know I haven't quite managed to get server 08 installed (but will soon) however in XP64 FF3 runs and launches fine and easily as quick and nimble as FF2 so maybe it's a bug with server 08 or maybe it just can't stand intel xeon's .... :friends:

#75 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Jun 20 2008, 09:24 AM, said:

Opera dont support Roboform and Roboform dont support Opera, I cant live without Roboform, therefore I must live without Opera.

:pray:

I used to use Roboform but now I just use the Opera wand feature and autocomplete forms setup and am fine with it. :friends:

Using the Wand, you can save usernames and passwords from websites.

When you enter a username and password into a webpage, the Wand will automatically ask you if you want to save it. The next time you want to log in to this page, press the Wand button in the Address bar or Ctrl+Enter in the password form to make the Wand fill in the username and password and log you in automatically.

Combined with Fast Forward, you will often see that the Forward button in the Address bar changes to a "Log in" button. This means that you can simply press the "Log in" button or use the keyboard shortcut or mouse gesture for Forward to log in using the Wand.

If you do not wish to use the Wand, you can disable it in Tools > Preferences > Wand (Mac: Opera > Preferences > Wand) by unchecking "Let the Wand remember passwords".

And since you are a FF user you know about having to add to your browser to make it work...there are two password widgets also out for Opera that may help, wand for me works fine though.

http://widgets.opera.com/widget/8912/
http://widgets.opera.com/widget/6836/

Edited by Tweak, 20 June 2008 - 04:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users