> Restore "Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) and "MS Software Sha, Without re-install? To make backup system partition!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 x2p

x2p

Network Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Basketball,dj'ing and cars

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

Hi, I know the default answer is "re-install", but is it possible to restore "Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) and "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" otherwise?

I have an old partition in which both work. I can copy files from that system and/or its registry.

I have been able to restore "Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) by copying all VSS* files from C:\Windows\System32\ and copying the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service\VSS entries. The service is listed again and can be started.

I tried to do the same for "MS Software Shadow Copy Provider" by copying swprv.dll from C:\Windows\System32\ and HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service\SwPrv entries (dllhost.exe was already present). The service is listed, but cannot be started.

Then I copied the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3 entries. The progress bar for starting SwPrv now went to 50% instead of 25%, but the service still does not start.

I would like to restore this on my father's PC. Since I do only occasionaly visit my parents and for a short time, I don't have the time for a re-install (which will take several days due to his particular setup).

I need the services (realize that now, painful lesson) for backing up his system partion using SyncBack.

More information from the makers: http://www.2brightsp...opic.php?t=932

#2 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

I did something of the sorts with Server 2003, Be careful though, I kept 4 back-ups on the same partition and copied needed files one by one till I got it working and even then I ended up copying files I wanted and puting them on another partion and formating and re-installing because the os wasn't too stable afterwards, good luck with it! But mine wasn't a VSS it was just a regular install, no back ups kept. I will explain it like this

C = XP Pro
D = Server 2k3
E = Junk I share between the two oses

On D I installed once, went in through C and copied D:/Windows 3 times on the D and once on E for safe keeping... Server 2k3 is no longer found on my machine due to issues I kept running into (mind you I converted it to a workstation.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users