23 replies to this topic

#1 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

not so long ago I get my licensed Nero 8.. and found out the horrible Thing.....

When I was starting Nero Components I always saw some strange Network activity. So I decided to track down which component sends data.. and what is the exact data..

This Was "%PROGRAMFILES%\COMMON FILES\NERO\SHARED\NL3\NeroPatentActivation.exe"
and it sends your CD-key.. to Nero's "License Check" servers..
Well I think that it is rights violation.. 1st they say after purchase, to do not show Key to Anyone, even to Neros Staff.. then they send your key, which could be easily catched up and Decryted.. They are little b.a.s.t.a.r.d.s.. ;)

So.. My solution will be simple as peace of cake..:

Disconnect from the internet
Install Nero
register with your Licensed key
restart (if needed)

Press Start-Run.. type in the following txt
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Common Files\Nero\Shared\NL3" (with Inverted commas)

The Folder "NL3" will be opened, Find there file Called "NeroPatentActivation.exe"
rename it to "NeroPatentActivation.exe.bak" (or you can simply delete it.. DONT FORGET TO BACK IT UP 1st)
Now Create new Folder and name it "NeroPatentActivation.exe" (without Inverted commas)

Enjoy :cc_surrender: No More Privacy Violation..

I think that everybody will agree with me, that such Violations could not be allowed.. Thanks for reading..

Alternatively you could just block "NeroPatentActivation.exe" with your firewall.. but you know.. firewall may crash.. and app may be opened at that time.. and That could cause unnecessary data leak.. :)

Here you are some screen Shots of new Nero.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Icon was not changed :eniparadoxgma:

1. Overall everything except for the NeroSmartSmart looks the same.. (quite weird.. Windows GUI Emulation.. Pff)
2. Speed is back again.. (for those who remember Nero 6, and using Nero 7)
3. Interface looks more complete, everything where it should be
4. 4/5.. I liked it ;)

for detailed information on "WHATS NEW?"go to Neros Home Page .. :)

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

thanks tblt. anything to stop "phoning home" from any app not requiring a connection is a good thing :eniparadoxgma:

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Buddy! good tip :eniparadoxgma:

#4 Red Hawk

Red Hawk

Oxford's King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:35 PM

would you suggest an upgrade from nero 7 ultra to this version of 8? if so i might give it a whirl.

#5 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:43 AM

View PostRed Hawk, on Sep 19 2007, 08:35 PM, said:

would you suggest an upgrade from nero 7 ultra to this version of 8? if so i might give it a whirl.

Nope.

Stick with Nero 6 or 7 Lite unless you want BLOAT on your system.

Course that wont matter if you run Vista :eniparadoxgma:

#6 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:51 AM

View PostRed Hawk, on Sep 19 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

Yes.. Definitely.. Nero 8 is much faster, less buggier.. soo go for it..

p.s. If you think that old Neros SmartSmart is everything.. Getting used to this new will be quite hard.. probably you won't be using it At all.. :cc_surrender:
Btw.. I'll try to port old SmartSmart and check, how it works.. if it will work good I'll upload it here :eniparadoxgma:

About the Spyware in new nero..
If your going not for the DVD Version of Nero8, instead for "Download version", just download it from SOFTPedia (nero8)..
After Downloading, Right Click SFX archive and Unpack its content with WinRar to your desired Directory,
for example it could be "C:\N8INST"..
Now proceed into that Folder And Unpack this Attached File  Nero8_no_spyware.zip   3.97K   8 downloads , in there... (if asked - Replace to All)

If you downloaded from Neros Home, Make the same.. Or check where nero is unpacking its installation files, after unpack installer will run.. Cancel it.. go to "unpacked place", and Extract this Attached File  Nero8_no_spyware.zip   3.97K   8 downloads there.. Run Search over it, and Delete All matches with "Bar"

Now you can start installation... Don't forget To uncheck and cancel everything nero will offer you during Installation.. It could be some Lame ADs like.. -"Show what the Weather like Worldwide "IN SYSTEM TRAY" "

If you detect any of spyware after my Guide.. Just Reply here, and I will help you to Find Out how to remove 'em..
Or you could just Directly write to Softpedia.. They are really concerned about the Spyware in Apps.. and definitely Point you on How To Remove.. :)

Good Luck.. (btw. softpedia now seems to be cleaning Nero Installers from Malware, spyware etc. .. dont forget to check theyr WebSite.. often when you'll going for a new Version

---

Download Nero 8 - US Server (softpedia)

Download Nero 8 - RO Server (softpedia)

#7 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:01 AM

View PostTheBearLT, on Sep 20 2007, 09:51 AM, said:

Yes.. Definitely.. Nero 8 is much faster, less buggier.. soo go for it..

p.s. If you think that old Neros SmartSmart is everything.. Getting used to this new will be quite hard.. probably you won't be using it At all.. :cc_surrender:
Btw.. I'll try to port old SmartSmart and check, how it works.. if it will work good I'll upload it here :eniparadoxgma:

About the Spyware in new nero..
If your going not for the DVD Version of Nero8, instead for "Download version", just download it from SOFTPedia (nero8)..
After Downloading, Right Click SFX archive and Unpack its content with WinRar to your desired Directory,
for example it could be "C:\N8INST"..
Now proceed into that Folder And Unpack this Attachment Nero8_no_spyware.zip , in there... (if asked - Replace to All)

If you downloaded from Neros Home, Make the same.. Or check where nero is unpacking its installation files, after unpack installer will run.. Cancel it.. go to "unpacked place", and Extract this Attachment Nero8_no_spyware.zip there.. Run Search over it, and Delete All matches with "Bar"

Now you can start installation... Don't forget To uncheck and cancel everything nero will offer you during Installation.. It could be some Lame ADs like.. -"Show what the Weather like Worldwide "IN SYSTEM TRAY" "
If you detect any of spyware after my Guide.. Just Reply here, and I will help you to Find Out how to remove 'em..
Or you could just Directly write to Softpedia.. They are really concerned about the Spyware in Apps.. and definitely Point you on How To Remove.. :)

Good Luck.. (btw. softpedia now seems to be cleaning Nero Installers from Malware, spyware etc. .. dont forget to check theyr WebSite.. often when you'll going for a new Version

---

Download Nero 8 - US Server (softpedia)

Download Nero 8 - RO Server (softpedia)

Mirrors

http://rapidshare.com/files/56940192/Nero8...pyware.zip.html

http://www.verzend.b...pyware.zip.html

#8 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

Nero8.exe 121 bytes???

#9 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the tip TheBear ! :eniparadoxgma:

#10 Red Hawk

Red Hawk

Oxford's King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm running vista. My old version of Nero wouldn't work well so I'm considering upgrading to this one. Maybe i'll give it a shot here soon and then post my feedback for others as well. But, thanks for everyone's thoughts.

#11 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:18 AM

Okay, it's Friday night and the tequila is already kicking in... Where are the inverted commas in this string you said to type???? I left out the "quotation marks" if that's what you were referring to. :eniparadoxgma:

%PROGRAMFILES%\Common Files\Nero\Shared\NL3

Hmm... Nero 8 is still only available by pre-order at nero.com. I'll wait.

Edited by WFO, 22 September 2007 - 01:28 AM.

#12 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

View PostWFO, on Sep 22 2007, 04:18 AM, said:

Okay, it's Friday night and the tequila is already kicking in... Where are the inverted commas in this string you said to type???? I left out the "quotation marks" if that's what you were referring to. :eniparadoxgma:

%PROGRAMFILES%\Common Files\Nero\Shared\NL3

Hmm... Nero 8 is still only available by pre-order at nero.com. I'll wait.

Dude.. Read More Carefully..
Everything works smooth, if you had done something wrong.. Thats actually only yours problem :cc_surrender:

#13 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:23 AM

View PostTheBearLT, on Sep 22 2007, 04:15 AM, said:

Dude.. Read More Carefully..
Everything works smooth, if you had done something wrong.. Thats actually only yours problem ;)
*Ahem* Play nice. :)

I might actually look at Nero8, since Scara says that it doesn't matter if it is bloated and he says that it goes great with Vista. ;)

...come on Scara, i know you secretly boot into Vista late at night with the lights dimmed low...

#14 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:27 AM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Sep 23 2007, 11:23 PM, said:

*Ahem* Play nice. :)

I might actually look at Nero8, since Scara says that it doesn't matter if it is bloated and he says that it goes great with Vista. ;)

...come on Scara, i know you secretly boot into Vista late at night with the lights dimmed low...
LOL! he probably lights the candles, and slips into Vista- Thong Edition ;)

#15 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:44 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Sep 23 2007, 11:27 PM, said:

LOL! he probably lights the candles, and slips into Vista- Thong Edition :)
Posted Image

Edited by Christopholofigus, 24 September 2007 - 06:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users