4 replies to this topic

#1 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:58 AM

After the long reign of the Pentium D and Core 2 processor series, Intel's Hyper-Threading technology made a comeback late last year with the Core i7. Apparently, Microsoft felt inclined to tweak its next operating system to take better advantage of the technology. So points out Information Week, quoting a speech Microsoft Windows development chief Bill Veghte gave at the TechEd conference earlier this week:

The second thing that we're excited to announce in terms of the cooperation and the work that's been done is around hyper-threading. And obviously the work that Intel has done around hyper-threading across a multi-core system is absolutely critical for you. And so the work that we've done in Windows 7 in the scheduler and in the core of the system to take full advantage of those capabilities, ultimately we think together we can deliver a great and better experience for you.

Hyper-Threading is an implementation of simultaneous multi threading that allows processors to juggle two logical threads per physical core.

The Core i7 may be somewhat of a niche choice due to high platform costs right now, but Intel also plans to feature Hyper-Threading in 45nm Lynnfield quad-core derivatives later this year, not to mention 32nm Westmere dual-core offerings shortly after that. Both variants should find their way into notebooks, too.

TechReport

Good news for all i7 users. :bluerip:

:cc_surrender:

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

i guess if you have a niche you can't scratch... :cc_surrender:

i'm waiting on the xeon boards w/sata III capability (ich11r?). til then, i'll just have to slog through...

#3 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:23 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on May 20 2009, 02:12 AM, said:

i'm waiting on the xeon boards w/sata III capability (ich11r?). til then, i'll just have to slog through...

Yeah....I guess with these 'well over hyped' SSD's not performing, in relation to cost that is, slog it you will.........

Rock on ICH11R!!!

:cc_surrender: :bluerip:

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:06 AM

lol, i be kicking your can all over the place w/my vertex ssds on my humble esb2 :bluerip: :cc_surrender: with the ich11, they will know no bounds... :D

#5 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:43 AM

:cc_surrender: well Rik you are correct price/capacity is way costly , and yes I have went off the deep end with MO and spent a retarded amount of money in ssd raid arrays, in my case I bought MO's 4 patriot warp 2's and I have 8x 30 gig warps in raid 0=255 GB, on a Highpoint 4320 controller, 1.2 ghz intel iop like MO's Adaptec , ....but god all mighty they are fast with that insane .23 ms access time makes the pc feel crazy quick and snappy, so now we wait and see how long they last lol... :bluerip: :D

Edited by stormrosson, 20 May 2009 - 04:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users